It's an uphill battle, with the primary objection being that such additions would harm the rural nature of the winegrowing areas.
There have been no such concerns in the Southern California appellation of Temecula, however, where no fewer than seven wine estates are home to excellent restaurants.
Let's take a quick culinary tour of Temecula's wineries...
- Baily Winery: Carol's Restaurant offers casual dining overlooking the grapevines. Features California and Mediterranean cuisine, incorporating fresh herbs and vegetables grown in the adjacent garden. 951-676-9243
- Callaway: Meritage at Callaway boasts spectacular panoramic and hillside views, as well as delicious wine-paired cuisine. The multi-tiered arbor terrace offers a memorable alfresco dining experience. 951-676-4001
- Falkner Winery: Pinnacle Restaurant was voted "Best Inland Empire Restaurant" four years in a row. From its hilltop, window-enclosed perch, it offers American/Mediterranean cuisine for lunch daily. 951-676-8231
- Ponte Winery: Local produce and organic ingredients are used by a passionate culinary team to create memorable, wine-friendly dishes at The Restaurant at Ponte Winery. Enjoy alfresco dining surrounded by grapevines. 951-694-8855
- South Coast Winery: Vineyard Rose Restaurant offers casual yet elegant dining either indoors or outside, along with an award-winning wine list. 951-587-9463
- Thornton Winery: Cafe Champagne's creative menu was developed specifically to complement Thornton's still and sparkling wines. It features "vineyard cuisine" that is inspired by the seasons. 951-699-0088
- Wilson Creek Winery: Creekside Grille offers wine country dining with a backdrop of stunning vineyard views and lush gardens. 951-699-WINE