But when you make it with your favorite white wine, it does lend a touch of... class.
And what better way to spend your time as your count down the hours to a new year?
This recipe makes 8 servings, and we suggest sipping the same white wine that you use in making the cheese ball.
WHITE WINE CHEESE BALL
* 8-oz. package light cream cheese, room temperature
* 1/2 cup shredded sharp white Cheddar cheese
* 2 tablespoons dry white wine (such as Sauvignon Blanc)
* 1 to 2 tablespoons grated white onion of finely minced scallions
* 1 teaspoon lemon juice
* 1 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
* 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
* 1/2 cup chopped pistachios, toasted
1. In medium bowl, combine all ingredients except pistachios and mix until well combined.
2. Form into a ball (may be slightly soft). Cover in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
3. Roll cheese ball in chopped pistachios and re-wrap. Chill for at least 4 hours or overnight.
4. Serve with crackers or toasted slices of baguettes.