* 1 oz. dried porcini or shiitake mushrooms
* 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 3 onions, diced
* 3 carrots, diced
* 5 celery ribs, diced
* 3 cloves garlic, chopped
* 2 bay leaves
* 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
* 3/4 cup uncooked wild rice
* 10 cups unsalted chicken broth or turkey stock
* 1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless roasted turkey (5 cups chopped)
* Salt and pepper to taste
Put the mushrooms in a bowl and add 3 cups very hot water. Let soak for about a half-hour. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a Dutch oven. Add onions, carrots and celery. Cook vegetables over low heat for 10 to 12 minutes, until tender. Stir in the garlic, bay leaves and thyme, and saute for a few minutes longer.
Remove the mushrooms from the soaking liquid. Squeeze dry and chop them. Strain the soaking liquid through a coffee filter.
Add the wild rice, mushrooms, mushroom soaking liquid and broth to the Dutch oven. Bring to a boil, cover, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the rice is just about tender. Add the turkey, then simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.