Whichever you choose, we also suggest serving that wine with the meal.
This recipe makes 4 servings.
DUCK BREAST WITH RED WINE RISOTTO
* 4 duck breasts, 7- to 8-oz. each
* 2 cups Pinot Noir or Merlot
* 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
* 1/4 cup carrots, finely chopped
* 1/4 cup celery, finely chopped
* 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
* 1 cup Arborio rice
* 3 cups chicken stock
* 2 tablespoons whole unsalted butter
* 6 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
* 1 bunch parsley, chopped
* 4 pieces radicchio, cut in half length-wise, brushed with olive oil and grilled
1. Slowly sear duck beasts, skin-side down, over medium heat until skin is golden and crispy (about 10 minutes). Turn over and cook several more minutes, then remove from pan and rest.
2. Pour off fat and reserve. Add red wine to pan juices and reduce by half. Reserve for risotto.
1. Place 2 tablespoons reserved duck fat over medium to high heat. Add onions, celery, carrots and garlic, and cook until vegetables are soft.
2. Add rice, coat with fat and vegetables, and toast for several minutes. (Do not let the rice brown.) Add reduced wine and cook until it's evaporated. Add 1 cup of stock and cook, stirring frequently, until all liquid is absorbed. Repeat process two more times to absorb all stock.
3. Evaluate rice for proper doneness. Season. Finish with butter, cheese and parsley.
4. Serve with duck breasts and grilled radicchio.