PAN SEARED SCALLOPS WITH GINGER SAUCE
* 1 carrot, peeled and quartered
* 1 shallot, quartered
* 2-inch piece ginger root, thinly sliced
* 1 clove garlic, halved
* 1 cup fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
* 1/4 cup dry white wine
* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
* 1-lb. sea scallops
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* Freshly ground black pepper
* Chopped chives
1. Combine carrot, shallot, ginger, garlic, broth and wine in a medium saucepan. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat until liquid is reduced to about 1/2 cup, about 12 minutes. Strain, then discard vegetables and reserve liquid.
2. Pat scallops dry with paper towel. Heat oil in non-stick skillet that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray over medium-high heat. Place scallops in single layer in skillet. Cook until golden brown on bottom, about 4 minutes. Turn scallops. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Cook 2 minutes or until second side is lightly golden. Reduce heat to low.
3. Pour reserved liquid over scallops. Simmer 1 minute, or until scallops are done, stirring up any browned particles into sauce and spooning sauce over scallops. Arrange scallops in deep platter; spoon sauce over. Sprinkle with chives.