SONOMA SAUSAGE, SPINACH AND PINE NUTS
Cabernet Sauvignon calls for hearty food, and this recipe is an ideal match. It serves 6.
* 2-lb. flank steak
* 3/4 lbs. Sonoma sausage (or sausage of your preference), medium-spicy, cut into chunks
* 2 cups tightly-packed fresh spinach leaves, blanched and cooled
* 1/3 cup pine nuts, freshly roasted
* 1/4 cup romano cheese, grated
* 1 Tbs. shallots, minced
* 1 clove garlic, minced
* 3 cups Cabernet Sauvignon
1. Cut a pocket in the side of the flank steak and season the interior with freshly-ground pepper and salt.
2. In a food processor, process the sausage until it is ground. Add the spinach, pine nuts and romano cheese until well blended. Then add the shallots and garlic, and blend 30 seconds more.
3. Stuff the flank steak and skewer the pocket closed.
4. Lightly cover the bottom of a large saute pan with olive oil, and brown the beef on both sides.
5. Add the Cabernet Sauvignon, and braise on the stove top for 2 hours. Take the steak out of the pan and set on a cutting board.
6. To make the sauce, degrease the braising liquid and thicken slightly with a mixture of cornstarch and cool water. Heat the sauce and ladle 1 ounce onto the entree plate, then top the flank steak with more sauce if desired.