This recipe comes from the aptly-named Feast restaurant in Santa Rosa, California - right in the heart of Sonoma County wine country. It matches perfectly with Sauvignon Blanc and other white wines, and serves 4 to 6.
LINGUINI & CLAMS
* 2 lbs. fresh clams
* 1/2 cup minced shallots
* 1/4 cup minced garlic
* 2 teaspoons dried chili flakes
* 1 tablespoon each of oregano, marjoram, Italian flat leaf parsley, basil and chives, chopped
* Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
* 3/4 cup olive oil
* 2 cups white wine
* 2 to 3 cups clam juice
* 1 lb. clam meat (canned or thawed frozen)
* 1/2 lb. unsalted butter (2 sticks)
* 1 1/2 lbs. dried Italian linguini, cooked al dente
* 3/4 lb. grated Asiago or Parmesan cheese
* Fresh lemon wedges
1. Heat a large saute pan over medium high heat for 1 minute. Add fresh clams, shallots, garlic, herbs and chili flakes, and a few turns from a pepper grinder. Add olive oil. Toss clams to coat, cook, and toss a few times until shallots and garlic are transluscent â€” do not brown.
2. Add wine, and reduce volume by three-quarters.
3. Add clam juice, and return to boil. Remove whole clams when shells open, and set aside.
4. Add butter to pan. When butter melts, add clam meat and cook 30 seconds.
5. Toss cooked linguini in sauce to coat, then toss in cheese. Place in bowl, and garnish with whole clams and lemon wedges.