* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1 onion, diced
* 2 or 3 cloves garlic, minced (optional)
* 1 lb. link sausage, sliced 1/8-inch thick
* 1 lb. penne or other pasta
* 1 cup red wine
* 3 beefsteak or other large tomatoes, cored and chopped
* 1/2 cup basil leaves, sliced, plus 8 small sprigs
* Freshly ground black pepper
* 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Bring large pot of water to a boil. Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and cook until translucent. Stir in garlic and sausage. Cook until meat is no longer pink, about 8 minutes for fresh; drain.
In the boiling water, cook pasta according to package directions.
Add red wine to skillet. Cook until about 1/4 cup liquid remains, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and cook until they soften and give up their liquid, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat until pasta is done cooking.
Stir sliced basil leaves into sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Serve over drained pasta, and garnish with Parmesan and basil sprigs.