* 3 tablespoons olive oil
* 6 lamb shanks
* 1 onion, chopped
* 3 leeks, white and pale green part only, chopped
* 4 cloves garlic, chopped
* 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
* 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
* 2 14-oz. cans chicken stock
* 2 15-oz. cans white beans, drained
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 1 bay leaf
1. In a heavy Dutch oven with a tightly fitting lid, beat olive oil over medium heat. Add the lamb shanks and brown well on all sides.
2. Remove lamb and add leeks, onion, garlic, parsley and rosemary. Saute until tender.
3. Whisk in chicken stock, scraping up any browned bits.
4. Stir in beans, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Return lamb to pot and cover tightly.
5. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 2 1/2 hours.
6. Half-way through cooking time, turn the lamb shanks over. If stew is too liquid, remove lid and simmer until slightly thickened.