Each year, Sutter Home Winery conducts a "Build a Better Burger" recipe contest, and this year's winner was Julie DeMatteo, a retired school teacher from Clementon, New Jersey. We tried her recipe with a Rose, and the match was perfect. It also matches well with a wide array of red wines, and makes 4 servings.
DOWN ISLAND BURGERS WITH MANGO MAYO & GRILLED ONIONS
* 1/4 cup mayonnaise
* 1/2 cup diced ripe mango
* 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
* 1 1/2 lbs. ground pork
* 2 tablespoons Sauvignon Blanc
* 2 tablespoons Tabasco sauce
* 1/4 cup panko
* 4 large cloves garlic, minced
* 4 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
* 4 teaspoons curry powder
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
* 4 one-half-inch-thick slices sweet onion
* 4 seeded sandwich rolls, split
* 1 bunch watercress, large stems discarded
1. Prepare barbecue grill with cover to medium-high, and brush grill rack with oil, or spray with cooking spray.
2. Place all mayo ingredients in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth.
3. In a large bowl, combine the ground pork and the next 8 ingredients listed. Mix lightly but well, and shape into patties, formed to fit the rolls.
4. Grill until browned on the bottom, about 4 minutes, then turn and grill just until done, 5-7 minutes longer.
5. While burgers are cooking, place onions on grill and cook until golden brown and crisp-tender, 2-3 minutes per side. During last minute of cooking time, place rolls, cut sides down, on edges of grill to toast.
6. Place burgers on bottom halves of rolls and top with some mango mayo, an onion slice and a generous amount of watercress. Replace roll tops.