* Vegetable oil
* 1/4 cup finely chopped bell pepper
* 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
* 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
* 1 tablespoon finely chopped celery
* 1 clove garlic
* 2 cups shredded cooked turkey
* 1 tablespoon steak sauce
* 1 teaspoon salt, divided
* Pinch of turmeric
* 3 cups instant corn masa
* 2 to 2 1/2 cups water
* Shredded cabbage
1. In a medium saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add pepper, onion, cilantro, celery and garlic. Cook 2 minutes.
2. Add turkey, sauce, 1/2 teaspoon salt and turmeric. Cook for 5 minutes until sizzling sticky. Set aside.
3. Measure masa and 1/2 teaspoon salt into a medium mixing bowl. Add water slowly, kneading the mixture with your hands, until moist dough is formed. Divide into 10 balls, and cover with a kitchen towel.
4. Roll one ball of dough between your palms for several seconds, and place it on top of Saran Wrap or a similar surface. Pat and turn until the circle of dough is 6 inches in diameter. Use flat fingers of one hand for the patting, and curved fingers of the other hand to shape the edge.
5. Spread 1-2 heaping tablespoons of turkey mixture across center of the circle. Use the plastic to lift and fold the dough into a semicircle. Press gently to seal the edges. Repeat with remaining dough and filling, keeping the finished empanadas covered with a towel.
6. Pour oil into a medium skillet to a depth of 1/4 inch. Heat over medium-high. Fry empanadas two at a time until crisp and golden, about 2 minutes per side. Open on seam and stuff in cabbage. Serve while hot.