Karen MacNeil, author of the best-selling book, "The Wine Bible," suggests Weinsuppe, which she describes as "a sweet soup made by adding sugar and aromatics to red or white wine."
And she suggests serving it with cookies.
- Rind of an orange
- Rind of a lemon
- 2 cups Pinot Noir
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 whole clove
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Grate the rinds of the orange and the lemon, then cut each fruit in half and juice it.
- Place the juice and rinds in a medium-size saucepan and add Pinot Noir, water, sugar, dried cherries, cinnamon stick, clove and nutmeg.
- Bring to a simmer, then add heavy cream.
- Let return to a simmer, then serve immediately.